Bistro Style Bison Burgers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onions, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Heinz 57 sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds ground bison (buffalo)
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 8 slices of Provolone or Swiss Cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and cook until golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes. When caramelized add Worcestershire and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Put the onions in a bowl.
- Place the ground bison in a bowl and add the Heinz 57 sauce to the meat. Lightly work the sauce into the meat until the sauce is distributed evenly throughout the meat. Form 8 oval shaped patties roughly the size of the buns.
- Wipe out the skillet and add another 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the patties with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat in batches if needed until well browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium-well burgers. Place the top on the skillet as it cooks on each side and add a small amount of water. The steam will not only assist in making sure that the meat is cooked throughout, but also aid in locking in moisture to guarantee a juicy burger and prevent the patties from sticking to the pan.
- Place the bison patties on the buns and top with the Provolone or Swiss cheese. Divide the onions among the burgers you are well on your way to indulging in a Bistro Style Bison Burger!!! Lastly, enjoy such a simple yet tasty culinary masterpiece that was incarnated in your own kitchen!!!
- ***Variations of the recipe***
- This recipe can be changed to explore a plethora of tastes along the flavor spectrum. Here are a few suggestions:
- Bleu Cheese Bison Burger – A staple at a number of bar and grill style restaurants, you can make this in the privacy of your own home. Simple omit the Heinz 57 and season the ground bison with salt and pepper prior to cooking. Top the cooked patty with Bleu cheese instead of Provolone or Swiss cheese for a unique flavor.
- Gyro-Inspired Bison Burger a.k.a The Adonis- Explore the taste of Greece!!! Season the bison meat with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Cook patties in the skillet as directed. Place onions and tomatoes as toppings and spread Tzatziki sauce on each bun to get a burger that is reminiscent of a Gyro.
- Mango Chutney Bison Burger- This variation will tap dance along your taste buds. Simply season the bison with salt and pepper and cook in the skillet. Remove the patty and place on the bun. Spread the mango chutney along the bun and enjoy. Mango chutney brings a sweet and spicy element to the savory burger.
Follow Avery Dibiase at @AveryDibiase on Twitter